Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 May 2019

#42 Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL - revisited and revived!

[Part one can be found right over here]

Through a mix of patience, persistence and good luck, i managed to get my grubby mits on another, fully functional Audiobox 1818VSL, for considerably less than the 1-2 pricey ones available on eBay in Europe.



After making sure this second one was indeed working and everything, i proceeded straight to removing the firmware chip and dumping its contents. It came with what seemed like the latest version available, 1.49.

Speaking of which, the v1.49 dump (binary format) can be found right over here.

Here's the point where some clearing-up of details should be made. This 1818VSL has two versions of drivers available:
  1.  Audiobox ("AB", latest version is 1.3, from March 2016)
    • pro: offers access to the built-in mixer & DSP effects
    • con: only(?) works with firmware v1.18
  1. Universal Control ("UC", latest version is 3.0, from March 2019)
    • pro: "technically" newer
    • pro(?): updates the firmware to v1.49
    • con: is a barebones driver (no more access to hardware mixer & DSP effects)
So, after "cloning" the firmware into my original unit, it booted right up, and the AB i had installed at the time detected it, but claimed it needed a firmware update. Fair enough, i let it have its way. After allegedly successfully completing that and the unit rebooting, though, it then greeted me with the same message again. That can't be good...

Uninstalled AB, installed UC. As one might expect, that also demanded a firmware update, but interestingly enough, it indicated the existing version as 1.00. I chose not to go ahead with that, since i wanted access to the hardware mixer and effects (routing signals in and out for testing other gear without opening up a DAW every single time).


So i took to doing some digging. I "copied" the layout of the board in the CPU area along with its surrounding resistors, and tried to identify (on the second, working unit) what signals went where. At this point, the I2S clocks to the converters (MCLK, BCLK, LRCK) in the first unit were still absent, just as before.


After a couple of hours of on-and-off probing (multimeter continuity test, as well as oscilloscope), along with consulting of datasheets, i managed to figure out most of the connections.

The "north" and "east" sets of resistors connected the Xmos chip to the USB3318 interface, apart from R93 and R101, which were in series with the SCLK and MOSI lines of the SPI bus going to the flash memory chip.

R132 was a 300Hz clock line, going to the clock input of the CS2300 PLL chip. On the first (bad) unit, the clock was either absent, or working at "only" 50Hz (not 100% sure if my multimeter was actually measuring 50Hz there, or just picking up some mains interference; i didn't think of probing with the scope just then). That was an obvious but interesting sign. Sure enough, nothing was coming out of the PLL chip.


In the mean time, i managed to identify the tiny 8-legged component near it and connected to it - an NC7NZ17 triple buffer. Sure enough, the commoned inputs were connected to the CS2300 clock output (through R115), one of its outputs went to the four codec chips (through R145), a second one to a small component near the S/PDIF connectors (through R125), and the third probably / likely back to the Xmos (through some vias and R116).

I was preparing to try to reflow the Xmos, thinking that who knows, maybe some of the solder balls might've cracked or something. But in all honesty, i quite doubted that was the case, since after temporarily removing R137 and R138 (LRCK and BCLK respectively), i could still measure around a diode-drop from ground (450-odd mV), so they most certainly were not disconnected.

In a bit of a hail-Mary attempt, i reinstalled AB 1.3, reconnected the faulty unit (which i had re-updated to v1.49 in the mean time), let it "update" the firmware to whatever version it wanted the first time, but also allowed it to do that the second time in a row it asked. Aaaaaaaand whaddya know - the thing came to life! I guess the first "update" reset it to v1.0, and the second stage updated that to v1.18.

Probing revealed the expected 300Hz being sent to the PLL input, as well as the expected clock on its output, as well as LRCK and BCLK on the Xmos side of R137 and R138. At this point, the two resistors were still disconnected, but after putting them back, i got some meter activity when turning the input gain controls!

Yes, i very likely "took the scenic route" on this, due to one (or several) brainfarts along the way, but hey - the end justifies the means... i guess(?). Still, no harm done, and a very capable little unit brought back from... well, more like a "coma", than death. From the brink of death, perhaps?

29 comments:

  1. Hey! Im having trouble with my unit, and and my troubleshoot tickets with presonus are falling on deaf ears. I was wondering if you could help me troubleshoot and maybe fix my unit?
    What I am experiencing as a user is the following:
    The unit won't change samplerate, its stuck at 44.1khz, it will flash the sync led red and blue, error out, and the only way to get it to work again is to reset it.
    I a panic attempt to fix it I updated the firmware to 1.49 (I too liked and and wanted to use the dsp posibilities of this card, and was running the AB driver in the 1.18 firmware) but now the card is stuck at 44.1 khz, still, and I cant go back to the AB drivers, the installation just does not recognize my unit (but UC does??).
    Im have no idea what the problem is, if the xmos chip is dying, or if the firmware chip is having problems. Maybe there is is another way to reset the firmware chip?
    The worst part is that I work with my unit, and with the quarentine and all I am completely unable to work.
    Thanks in advance. Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, after the experience (or lack thereof, rather) with their support regarding my initial troubles with this unit, they've certainly lost me as a customer of their hardware. Studio One is fine, though.

      That's a good question. Short of (physically) reprogramming the firmware, or swapping it out altogether, it's tough to know for sure, unfortunately.

      Delete
    2. Definitely lost me too.

      Reprogramming the firmware is going to be tough, I unfortunately dont have the necessary equipment to do that.

      Thanks for the response, at least I know im on the right track. I will try to get someone that can do the reprogramming and maybe the swap. Hopefully that brings the unit back to life.

      Wish me luck!

      Delete
    3. Good luck with that. You'll probably need the firmware chip contents, as well - here's a link to the 1.18 firmware.

      Delete
    4. Hey, good morning! Could you help me? I'm passing through this same problem, the interface only works in 44.1khz. When the sample rate is changed, the interface starts a loop of blue-red light flashing (sometimes, this issue occurs when i try to turn it on soon after turned off, even in 44.1khz) . To be synced again, the interface needs to be turned off and waiting for some hours to be powered on again. There is a video of the flashing lights https://youtu.be/DKLTapF9LR8 . Thanks in advance!

      Delete
    5. Jeez, i'm not quite sure what to say about that. To be fair, i still have this 1818VSL on a shelf here, haven't touched it in a couple years, but i might need to look into it again.

      But first i'd try to flash the memory chip (after desoldering it from the board) with either the 1.49 firmware linked in the blog post, or the 1.18 firmware in the last reply before yours. The actual process might not be the easiest, though...

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the binary dump! I got an 1818 interface from a friend that says it worked perfectly until a firmware update bricked it. We've tried several computers, cables, operating systems and wherever we tested it the computers consistently said "unknown USB device". Inside looks perfect, no swollen caps, signs of overheating or bad solder joints. Gonna get me one of those programming tools for atmel SPI and try if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Since i had the headaches i did with this one, i figured it might be... "neighbourly" (to say the least) if i could save others from that.

      Glad to hear my "pain" resulted in good things, and good luck with the "revival"!

      Delete
    2. Update: I ordered a Revelprog-IS from Poland. Got it in the mail today, downloaded and installed their software, hooked up the programmer to the atmel IC and reflashed with the v1.49 binaries. The software said it was a successful upload, but it also complained about something (don't remember the details). Still no luck communicating over USB. There's a big chance I missed some crucial step. Need to sleep and read the manual again before next attempt!

      Delete
    3. Update 2: In retrospect, I probably should've desoldered the memory chip before flashing it instead of using the Pomona 5250 clip to flash in circuit. Now the binary validation of the SPI memory goes through, but absolutely nothing happens when I hook up the unit to a computer. Not even a beep or an "unknown device". Pretty sure some other component got damaged in the process. Maybe a resistor, maybe the USB3318. Hopefully not the XMOS cpu. To be continued...

      Delete
    4. Well, flashing in-circuit is almost never a good idea (imho). Primarily because the programmer would need to provide power to whatever (else) is connected to the same supply rail as the flash chip. Which, in this case, is pretty much all the digital stuff, more or less.

      Regarding why it's not doing anything now, i really couldn't say, i'm afraid. Maybe try reflashing the chip with the 1.18 firmware? And/or get a few spares from a credible retailer (ie. not eBay / Aliexpress)?

      Delete

  3. I have the same problem, what equipment can I use to reprogram the xmos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, really sorry for the very-very-very late answer. As far as i know, with the appropriate adapter and/or cables, you can even use a USBasp with modded firmware, to read or write SPI flash memory chips.

      And if you still need them, i still have the dumps from working firmware chips for this interface.

      Delete
    2. all you had to do was update the firmware a second time.... no need for all this, which Im sorry you went through. I bought mine a couple years ago I think. Looking around for a second one because I love them. There is nothing wrong with it asking you to do the firmware a second time....thats the deal ...... yes... I was frustrated at first but I went back and forth updating between the UC and the VSL software. although you get some finer resolutions out of using UC ( more choices etc..) I stuck with the VSL Software . I have gone back and forth a bunch of times with the firmware up/downgrade.......its NOT permanent.... hope this helps.....although late I know :) ......there is a video on youtube . The software is still on the Presonus website at the 1818vsl page, underneath the UC downloader look for something that says "show 'hide" or "see all Previous versions" ....the VSL software is down at the bottom of the page , you can download it there..... here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_bX_BJNfR0

      Delete
    3. Hi Khron, I managed to revive my 1818vsl after several attempts to update and downgrade the firmware, in the Audio Box 1.3v driver version. It records and works the audio, but still with some flaws, like changing the sample rate, it disconnects and I need to leave it off for a while to recognize the usb again. Sometimes it also crashes when I turn on and play an audio. Obs, I transferred firmware 1.18 on the chip via USBasp.

      Delete
  4. hello, does anyone have an interface like this working to help me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo... Bought an 1818vsl, on win 11, uc recognized it and then updated the firmware. Am I fcked? I have NO technical knowledge aside from basic user. Had this interface years ago and loved it. Found one on offer up for 150 bucks... Did I just buy a paperweight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you be... in trouble? Or does it not work, somehow?

      Delete
  6. Hi Khron, I managed to revive my 1818vsl after several attempts to update and downgrade the firmware, in the Audio Box 1.3v driver version. It records and works the audio, but still with some flaws, like changing the sample rate, it disconnects and I need to leave it off for a while to recognize the usb again. Sometimes it also crashes when I turn on and play an audio. Obs, I transferred firmware 1.18 on the chip via USBasp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's some interesting behaviour indeed. Maybe i'm prejudiced, but i'm starting to wonder if anything on the power supply side of things might be not-100%-well.

      Delete
  7. @Khron, I have a dead Presonus 1818vsl and have no clue where to start. Shops here ask for schematics and Presonus will not provide one. I called and talked to them already. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dead" is pretty vague. No lights, no activity of any sort? Is the power brick putting out anything? What about the internal power supplies? See the teardown article for more details on that.

      Delete
  8. Hello,

    and thank you for creating this blog that gives hope to many disappointed customers of Présonus.
    I bought my 1818 vsl sound card in 2013 and started with the problems in 2015, after the warranty ended: permanent spitting and mono sound. I then sent it to the repairman for a check-up and it was answered to me that the DSP was dead, that it was not replaceable and that it was necessary to replace the whole card (for a price close to the new one).
    As I doubt this answer and I do not like this society of programmed obsolescence, I opened the beast to see (without being electronic) the state of the components. Nothing abnormal there at first sight except a kind of white paste that looks like glue attached to the foot of the two capacitors next to the feed. (This card was a stock B) so it was apparently retouched.
    But since I was told that the DSP was dead and not knowing what a DSP is, I wanted to know if it was the XMOS, and in this case if it would not be enough to reprogram it to make it work again. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, for caring enough to read through my "adventures"!

      "DSP" is indeed pretty vague, but the Xmos chip is "doing it all" anyway. The easiest thing that has a chance of working, is indeed to hardware-reflash the memory chip. You can find links to both v1.49 (that works with Universal Control), or v1.18 (in the comments, that works with the VSL software).

      Delete